Brooke Hills Park — Formerly known as “Happy
Hills Farm”, over 55 years ago, the Gist Family willed 750
acres to Brooke County, and it was named Brooke Hills
Park. The road leading into Brooke Halls Park was
originally known as Hinkson Road (now Gist Drive).
W.C.Gist ‘s home is located on the right side of the road
and was built in the early eighteen hundreds. W.C. Gist
served as Brooke County Agriculture Agent for 30 years and
he was instrumental in providing rural homes in the county
The Brooke Hills Spooktacular takes place in a 185+ year
old farmhouse, built before 1822, on part of the Gist
land. Rumors prevail that it is a real spookhouse. In 2007
Brooke Hills Park Spooktacular Celebrated its 20 years.
Spookhouse is operated solely by volunteers from all over
the Ohio Valley. Each year the entire theme of the house
is created into an entirely different theme.
Brooke Hills Playhouse
P.O. Box 186
Wellsburg, WV 26070
West Virginia's first traditional summer stock theater has
been in operation for over 35 seasons in the “barn”. The
structure was once owned by the wealthy, prominent Gist
family of Wellsburg, W.V. in the 18th and 19th century. A
division of the Brooke County Arts Council, the amateur
theater performs five shows per season, including: farce,
comedy, melodrama, and musical productions.
Toll House at Brooke Hills Park
— The Historic 1834
Wellsburg to Washington Tollgate House is the only
remaining Toll House in Brooke County and one of the few
standing toll houses in the state. The Toll House sits
along the Historic Wellsburg & Bethany Scenic ByWay at the
entrance to Brooke Hills Park on Route 27 approximately
4.5 miles east of Wellsburg, WV. The Brooke County
Commission was awarded a $160,000.00 federal
transportation grant to make exterior renovations to the
Historic House. Brooke Hills Park Board is working in
cooperation with the Brooke County Commission and the WVU-Extension
Office to complete the exterior renovations and determine
effective future use for the historic facility.
Lighted Cross — Mr. Gist envisioned a cross on the top of
the knoll east of the park. It reminded him of Golgotha,
the mount on which Christ was crucified. His vision became
reality when the park board purchased the knoll from
William and Anna Gist on January 1, 1962 for the sum of
$834. The geological survey marks the elevation near the
base of the cross at 1332 feet being the highest point in
Brooke County. Though the date was not recorded it was
lighted either Decoration day or the 4th of July 1962.
Over the years the cross deteriated and the lighting no
In the summer of 1991 a group of volunteers from the
Franklin United Methodist Church remembered the
inspiration the received from seeing the lighted cross.
Many local business helped provide the materials and the
volunteer group worked to restore the cross, its lighting
and electric supply. On September 14, 1991 the local
Ministerial Association held a service at the Rhododendron
shelter. The cross once again shined to the Heavenly
Father every evening from 8pm till midnight.
to view the Brooke County Park Master Plan as
prepared on February 2004.